Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Morel Mushrooms

If you have never been morel mushroom hunting you are missing out! These guys are super tasty! They grow in partial shade to shady areas, they are often found growing under trees. The soil temperature and moisture have to be just perfect for them to grow. Right now is a good time to start looking, so go hiking around and try to find some.

You can saute them, fry them or add them to any mushroom recipe. However the flavor is so good it's hard not to eat them alone!

Cut about a half inch off the stems to remove the harder part.

I sauteed these, so I cut them in about 1 inch pieces, but if I fry them I usually cut them in half, unless I have an abnormally huge one and then I normally quarter them.

Soak them in salt water for at least an hour, sloshing them around with your hands to make sure and get all the dirt out of them.

If you are sauteing them, melt about 3 tablespoons of butter and add fresh cracked black pepper. Salt them after they are done cooking.

To fry them (really good as well) coat them in butter milk and drench in flour and fry until golden in a light cooking oil. If you want them extra extra crispy, dip them back into the butter milk and flour and then fry them.

We drizzled these over our flank steak.. it was one of the best meals I've cooked... seriously. Flank steak recipe to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment