Monday, November 16, 2009

Broccoli Three Cheese Soup

After I made this broccoli cheese soup, I decided it was the tastiest broccoli cheese soup I have EVER had, hands down. And I'm not trying to brag. It's a must try!

Ingredients:

4 Cups chopped broccoli (I like mine in about 3/4 inch pieces)
4 oz. Softened cream cheese (half a block)
2 Cups diced velveeta cheese
1 1/2 to 2 Cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 Tablespoons onion flakes (not fresh onions)
2 Tablespoons onion powder
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper (or already ground pepper, if your into that kind of thing)
2 Cans chicken stock

Pour 1 can of chicken stock in saucepan and heat on medium low. Then add the onion flakes, onion powder and salt and pepper. Meanwhile dice the Velveeta cheese, its just under half a big block of Velveeta. Add to the broth and slowly stir while it starts melting. Chop broccoli into desired size, I used frozen broccoli and thawed it, you can definitely use fresh. Make sure and use stems also, not just the tree part. But don't use all of the stems if you are using fresh broccoli. Add the broccoli to the saucepan. Dice the cream cheese into cubes and add to the soup. Stir well so the cheese melts well. Add the shredded cheese. Simmer on medium low for about 20-30 minutes, depending on how the cheese is melting. Depending on how the soup is thickening start slowly pouring in the last can of broth. You may not need all of it, just eyeball it to desired thickness. Pour the soup in a bowl and top with a little shredded cheddar cheese. I served it with a half a bagel that I broiled on one side. You can certainly use any kind of bread you want. I just had some in the cupboard. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment