Monday, November 9, 2009

Coolest Hunt I've Ever Been On

This hunt was on our last day in Kansas. He had been hunting morning and evening for six days straight. The weather wasn't cooperating with the unusually warm temperatures in November and high wind speeds. We had gotten down out of the stand on our last hunt on Sunday, carrying back climber tree stands, backpacks, camera's, you name it. He was a little ways ahead of me and apparently had been trying to get my attention as I kept walking for over 50 yards, finally I look up and he is waving his arms for me to get down. So, I dropped down as fast as I could with a climber and thousands of dollars of camera equipment in my hand, into blackberry vines, I hate blackberry vines and their little hook shaped thorns! I had no idea what was going on, but figured there had to be a deer ahead. He quietly sets down all his stuff, gets his rangefinder out, nocked an arrow, and began to stalk the buck standing 45 yards away from him in the middle of a meadow.

The first time he drew back on the deer.

My glimpse of the deer through all the tall grass and shrubs.

At this point he is trying to get the deer's attention so he will turn... the deer doesn't respond to anything... even "get up!"

Drawn back yet again, this stalk went on for over 30 minutes and we were only 45 yards away from him to begin with.

Victory walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment