Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Amazing Spinich & Artichoke Dip


If I eat something that I love I always try to figure out how to make it. That's what happened with this recipe. I've had this spinach and artichoke dip a few times that is just to die for, I had to figure it out, and I did! And it turned out better than I had imagined!

Thaw your spinach, if you don't have time to let it thaw at room temperature then thaw it in the microwave. The spinach often comes in a 10 oz. box in the frozen vegetable section at grocery stores. I just peel the plastic layer off the box and squeeze the box until no juices run out. Break the spinach up into a mixing bowl.

Drain and chop about 10 artichoke hearts up and throw them into the mixing bowl. I say 10 artichoke hearts because I had a huge jar and just counted them out.

Measure a cup of mayonnaise and add to the bowl. Add the onion flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Grate 3/4 a cup of fresh Parmesan cheese. Fresh makes all the difference, don't buy the small tub of already grated cheese either. Just buy the pie size piece of fresh Parmesan and what you don't use, wrap it up and pop it into the freezer. It will be good for months. Trust me! Add the cheese to the mixing bowl.

This may sound weird, but with the other 1/4 cup of cheese, use the side of your grater that thinly slices cheese. Slice it up and break it into about 1/2 inch squares, or so. You just want bigger pieces of cheese as well, to bite into. It gives it an extra punch of flavor. Mix all of it up and put it into an oven safe dish and cook at 400 degrees until golden around the edges.

Serve with toasted French bread cut into bite-size pieces or chips, whatever you like!

*This is a great Superbowl dish, the men will love you!

Ingredients:

10 oz. frozen, chopped spinach (thawed, squeeze dry of juices)
10 artichoke hearts drained and chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons onion flakes
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Salt (to taste)
Fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
3/4 cup FRESH grated Parmesan cheese (use the small side of your grater)
1/4 cup FRESH thinly sliced Parmesan cheese (use the thin slicing side of your grater)

1 comment:

  1. OMG, that dip was soooooooo good!!! I couldnt stop eating it!! lol
    Great recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete