Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Spokane








Last week Adam and I went to Spokane, WA for the annual Society for Range Management meeting. Oklahoma City is hosting next year's meeting and I happen to be on the planning committee, specifically the publicity chair, so it was my duty to do my homework to make sure ours is the best it can be.


I have never been in the northwest part of the country, so naturally I had imagined how it would be, and thankfully I wasn't right. I had pictured negative temperatures and the people to be a lot more 'different' ... well different than what I'm used to here in the Midwest. However, the temperature was in the 30's and 40's every day, but it did rain three days while we were there, I sure do it would move down here! The terrain in Spokane didn't look like I expected it, I had imagined more of a sagebrush ecosystem, but it was more like what you see in between New Mexico and Colorado, small mountains and pine trees.


I heard the wine up there was really good. We went on a winery tour and toured three winerys. The first one was by far the best, the second two were more like small boutique stores that sold wine and made it in small amounts. None of them grew the grapes either, which was somewhat of a disappointment. I did manage to bring two bottles back, a Riesling with peach notes and a Sangiovese that had a very smooth finish.




It was nice visiting somewhere else completely different from what I am used to and seeing new places, however I'm a southern girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment